Already those opposed to WiFi in schools have managed to change School District 61 policy and now elementary schools are required to apply (pdf) and be approved for WiFi installations in schools. In the case of Saanich School District 63, an outright ban on new WiFi installations (pdf see Administrative Procedure section 14) in elementary schools has been imposed.
What can you do?
- Contact your school board and tell them that WiFi is an essential learning technology that needs to be in our schools. You can email all the SD61 representatives in one email using the email@example.com. If you are in SD 63, you can find contact information for district representatives on the SD63 website.
- Vote for school board trustees who support and encourage the appropriate use of technology in the classroom, including WiFi.
- Talk to parents in your school about this issue.
- Speak with your PAC representatives and tell them you support WiFi in our schools.
- Download and distribute a copy of our poster (PDF document 1.4 meg)